We got the 2×4 braces up for the wooden beam. Yea!! I stained one piece of wood. My dad removed the florescent light. I was pleasantly surprised I don’t have more than just two screw holes to patch.
I have to make myself a to do list if I am going to get this done. But first here are some of the kitchens I am keeping in my mind as I work on this space.
My all time favorite do it their-selves kitchen renovation. I LOVE the backsplash.
I never thought I would like white cabinets but I am loving the crisp, clean look of them. Plus, my island has white cabinets and I really love it.
This gives me an idea of the white cabinets, with a wood top island and darker countertops.
Then there is the open corner shelves I want to put above the dishwasher.
What I need to do to finish this room:
- Fill in all the holes and gaps on the ceiling
- Paint ceiling
- Stain boards for the beam
- Install beam
- Buy (or get as present) new kitchen light and install
- Get the right paint (shinier) to finish painting the pantry (same paint will be used on cabinets)
- Remove cabinet over dishwasher
- Install corner shelves
- (I am going to use this removed cabinet to test if I can remove the laminate from them so that I can then sand and paint the cabinets already there)
- Build new cabinet doors/paint
- Faux brick the soffits (I think I might use mortar for texture, and paint this with stencils instead of the paneling) so it looks like exposed brick
- Paint the countertops
- Trim out the bottom of the island and the cabinets
- Remove sliding glass door and wall in the hole (I would love to put a double sided fireplace for here and the porch if I could afford)
Not sure if I want to do a backsplash since I am doing the brick above. But subway tile is a thought.