Funny thing. I tasted Nutella, probably back when it first came out. I did not like it. Wouldn’t go near it again. Did they maybe change its flavor a tad? I don’t know but I had it on my apple today.
I am not a big breakfast person. I will eat a granola bar first thing at work and then yogurt and peanut butter crackers later. I love breakfast burritos and other things eggs, but just not on a working day. Plus I don’t have time at 4:45am. But the other day I found a Chewy Granola Bar recipe (on my addiction to all things Pinterest). I searched other recipes but the one from Cooking Classy didn’t have eggs and appeared to be the easiest to make. Luckily someone had noted they tried Nutella so I gave it a go.
What you’ll need
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 1/2 Multi Grain Cheerios cereal (crushed)
- 1/2 cup crushed pecans
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
How to make it
- Line an 8 by 8-inch baking dish with aluminum foil leaving a 2-inch overhang.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together oats and cereal, set aside.
- In a separate microwave safe mixing bowl, combine Nutella, honey, brown sugar and salt. Heat mixture on HIGH power for 1 minute, remove and stir. Return to microwave and heat on HIGH power 1 minute longer.
- Remove from microwave, pour in vanilla and whisk mixture for 30 seconds. Pour peanut butter mixture over oat mixture and toss well to evenly coat.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish, firmly press mixture into an even layer. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze 10 – 15 minutes or chill in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Lift bars from dish using foil overhang and cut into squares. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy.